Plain gave a most impressive welcome to visitors to our city Our plains, roads and streets have stories to louis vuitton agenda 2013 diary tell and over the next few weeks we will be travelling down many of them, taking a look at the origins of the name. It will be an A to Z of Norwich street names little and large, long and short. Back in 1999 Richard Lane, born and bred in the city, wrote a wonderful little book on The Plains of Norwich, in which he told their stories. A rare postcard of the Roller Skating Rink at the Agricultural Hall in around 1905 from the Philip Standley collection. It cost 6d to get in and another 6d for the use of the skates. "During my childhood in the early 1950s, the wide concrete pavement fronting the row where my parents had their shop, was referred to by young and old alike as the plain. It was quite natural, a part of everyday speech, an expression for an open space no matter how large and small," wrote Richard. For centuries plain has been the word used by the people of Norwich when talking about the squares and open spaces amidst the narrow maze of streets. Way back in the 1550s Nicholas Sotherton, writing about Kett's Rebellion, wrote of the fighting in the "playne before the Pallace gate of the Bishop" referring to St Martin at Palace Plain. Only five are officially marked by street signs: Agricultural Hall, Bank, St Catherine's, St Martin at Palace and St Mary's. Agricultural Hall Plain. Photo: Archant Library Maddermarket, Redwell, St Andrew's Hall, St Benedict's, St Giles, St George's, St Margaret's, St Paul's, St Stephens and Theatre are not marked. These are within the historic core of the city but there is one in the hamlet of Earlham, where, in a country setting, overlooking the river Yare, lies University Plain, our 20th century creation. Let's start our journey at the beginning by stopping off at one of those plains. Looking down Prince of Wales Road from Agricultural Hall Plain. Photo: Archant Library Agricultural Hall Plain Prince of Wales Road now the beating heart of the city club scene opened in 1862 to create a grand thoroughfare between Thorpe Station and the city centre. Plans to finish the impressive boulevard flanked by louis vuitton neverfull look alike fine buildings ran out of cash and some of the buildings towards the station were less impressive than planned. The plain is regarded as being part of Prince of Wales Road and it stands on an incline thanks to the remains of earth embankments which formed the outer defences of Norwich Castle. The Agricultural Hall A building which has been used for a whole host of events over the years and is now the HQ of Anglia TV. Photo: Archant Library. Designed by Norwich architect J B Pearce, the red brick Agricultural Hall was opened by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) in 1882. It was more than just a hall where the farmers met up, it was used for all kinds of activities. From shows to exhibitions and rallies. The big fun fairs of the day used the hall and it was also a roller skating rink. Today it is home to Anglia Television while the much grander, neo classical neighbour, is now Hardwick House, home to Savills, while the rest of the building has been converted into flats and apartments. Thank goodness it has been saved, and escaped the air raids of the Second World War, to stand so proudly rather than a Roman temple. Junction of Agricultural Hall Plain and Upper King Street. Photo: Archant Library It is one of the few buildings to survive which were designed by Philip Hardwick and it opened as Harvey and Hudson's Crown louis vuitton agenda pomme d&amour red Bank on January 1866.
Four years later the bank collapsed. louis vuitton at neiman marcus atlanta Sir Robert Harvey lost tens of thousands of pounds including 6,000 held for the Norwich Board of Guardians which looked after the poor. Eventually the debts amounted to a huge 400,000 and Sir Robert killed himself in the garden of his home Crown Point, at Trowse.
Prev: louis vuitton neverfull nm mm
Next: louis vuitton neverfull celebrities